College Students: Keeping Organized & Motivated

9:41:00 PM


Lets Get Organized!



Many people ask me, "How do you stay so calm and organized throughout grad school?" Well there isnt much to it to be honest. Yes graduate school is full of intense curriculia and intense courses BUT you can achieve all As if you stay organized and plan ahead.

I am doing my graduate degree in Elementary Education and also getting my add-on license in Special Education. I started the program as just a Elementary Education student but then I decided to add the special education license since it is a license that I personally think every teacher-in-training should obtain at some point in thier life. Also many states like to see that you have more than 1 license so I went for it.

I knew from the start that there WILL be more work and added stresses but I went through it and BOY was I right! But now I am fully done with classes and I am just working on my state certification exams now (which you need to get your teachers license aside from having a masters degree - BUMMER). Now that I am done with taking college courses forever there is some relief! 

But many people want to know how do you do it? How do you stay organized and motivated? Well its pretty simple (at least for me but many people struggle with staying organized) and I will be breaking it down here on my blog! 

So here are my tips....

Write it down: Yes its that simple. You dont need a fancy and expensive planner something from the dollar store works just as well or you can always make it yourself or even put things up on your calender white board or up on your walls. Write anything and everything that you might think you will forget. A friendly reminder never hurts! I also tell people to write down positive and motivational quotes that can help them look forward to their goals.




Plan: It is always a good idea to plan a year ahead, a month ahead, a week ahead, whatever floats your boat but it never hurts to PLAN PLAN PLAN! Planning for me takes the stresses away. Especially when everything is done accordingly. While in grad school I would always do work that was due a week ahead so that I had that extra time to work on another class or even have some free time for myself. There were times when I would take a whole weekend and do all of the small homework tasks till I couldnt anymore. Yea it was hard work but the amount of freedom and time I had afterwards was amazing. 



Lists: I LOVE to make lists especially on my computer and iPad. When I complete a task I just simply highlight/click it and move on to the next. This keeps me on track and focused. Making lists helps me get things done quicker as well. I would even add things that I knew I wouldnt forget like "wash hair" that feeling of being organized and having your day planned is a great feeling (well at least for me). I usually do lists when tasks are piling up, especially, when professors are inconsiderate and give you 3 assignments all due at the same time. I personally like the Wunderlist app! It is so organized and you can make separate lists for everything. I have a grocery list, school work, personal list and it has helped me immensely. You can set reminders, notes, completed tasks, etc. I recommend everyone to download it!



Set alarms & reminders: I personally never set alarms or reminders to do things like homework or study but I heard this works well for many people who need to be reminded to get up off their bums and start their work! Especially if you live alone it can be very forgetful.

Be consistent with these tips and you will feel less stressed and relief from the college load that is thrown at us on a daily basis. It is so hard to stay motivated when students are busy but it just takes consistency to get the goals that we desire! They are what helped me get by. and yes this might feel like common sense but you would be surprised how many people don't use these methods or use them then stop midway. 

Hope you can use these tips and put them to good use! Comment below with what helps you be a more organized and motivated student!

XOXO, Lilli 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram